August 7, 2010

Book Review: The picture of Dorian Gray

I love love love this book! It's short but manages to be philosophical and relevant even 120 years later!

Why do I keep a special part of my bookshelf reserved for this splendiferous short novel?
  • Lord Henry says something outstandingly philosophical every time he opens his mouth, and each time you reread the book you agree with him a little more. You won't agree with everything he says though, you'll understand where he's coming from however.
  • Love, tragedy, philosophy, art, murder, intrigue. You name it, it's here.

Moral of the story: living a life of selfish debauchery makes you an ugly bastard.... well that's sort of half of the story

The Picture of Dorian Gray is by Oscar Wilde.

Plot: 4/5 Excellent!
Characters: 5/5 I'm especially fond of Lord Henry
Total: 5/5 READ this book! Buy a copy, buy two copies!

3 comments:

  1. I love acting. It is so much more real than life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about Lord Henry, I loved him from the moment he entered the book and was simultaneously horrified every time he opened his mouth; because I agreed with him(moistly), because I wish I had the guts (and the money) to speak my mind as he does; because I wish I had his elegance of phrase; because I wish I didn't agree with him. "We will be punished for what the gods have given us." Love this book so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right- I wish I didn't agree with him. That's so true!

    ReplyDelete