August 19, 2011

Movie: Jane Eyre (2011)

Starring the intriguing Mia Wasikowska (The most recent Alice) as the repressed governess Jane Eyre and Michael Fassbender (Seen earlier this year as Magneto in X-Men First Class) as the alluring older gentleman- Mr Rochester.

Mia Wasikowska may be a genius. Just saying. She was so convincing and so ethereal and so... Jane. It was very impressive. (Much better than her foray into Alice in Wonderland. I think this role suits her better)

As for Michael, I think I've developed a bit of a crush on him. I loved him in X Men but... damn, he made a hot Rochester.

Having read the book a mere twenty zillion times, my expectations were high, so high in fact that I was preparing myself to be disappointed. But how wrong I was. This movie did not dwell on sections of the book that were irrelevant, nor did it follow a linear timeline that would have bored those who had read the novel. It held the interest of the audience for the entire movie, the scenery was magical, the characters were amazing, the camera work, the music, the raw emotions. It had it all.

I love period drama, it's the costumes, the romance and the characters who are so uptight that the sexual tension could be cut with a plastic spoon. So mayhaps it's not for you, but if you don't want to spend your ten bucks, I suggest you read the book.

I declare, four stars!


3 comments:

  1. seeing it on monday with the gals! i hope that mia w is as good as you say, but in the meantime a period lovestory is enough to get me excited! good review! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm was in the same boat as you. Having read the book so many times and loved every reading, I was too terrified to watch the movie haha. Now following btw :) Keep blogging reviews! :D

    xxCindy
    ORIENTALExpresso

    ReplyDelete