For my new years resolution 2012 I aimed to read 100 books over the course of the year, as it turns out that is fucking impossible to do while completing your fifth year of med school and napping in all your breaks. So at the end of it all I got to a mere 35 books, which isn't that bad. hopefully 2013 will be closer to 50 books.
Here they are in order of reading, I'll elaborate on a few that were good or terrible.
1. Ashling by Isobelle Carmody
I love everything this Australian author writes, her books take you to post-apocalyptic world where a select few have x-men-like powers. Worth reading all in the series
2. Double Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
So excited when this came out, better than the last book.
3. The great gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
Probably a more exciting film.
4. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
5. The keeping place by Isobelle Carmody
6. Taltos by Anne Rice
Dirty in a way only Anne Rice can get away with
7. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
What a bore, I was so disappointed.
8. The wolf gift by Anne Rice (2012)
A NEW non-jesus book from Anne, I clasped it with both hands in the bookstore and squealed (much to the terror of the man standing next to me). Who knew she was writing again?? Easy read, not as complicated as her previous books, not as long as her previous books. She's moved into werewolf territory, I suspect because of the Twilight takeover on the vampire front leading to millions of vampire books suddenly being published. Good, but doesn't hold a candle to her earlier work.
9. Hunger games by Suzanne Collins
Love it. Sort of reminds me of Enders game.
10. Storm front by Jim Butcher
11. Fool moon by Jim Butcher
These two books were lent to me and I still haven't returned them. Rivetting stuff, I need to get the rest of them. Magician, exiled, complex storyline, mystery, murder.
12. Catching fire by Suzanne Collins
13. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Read within 24hr of each other they're so good.
14. Vampire diaries Midnight
Oh god I know, it's terrible but I had to read it.
15. Fifty shades by E L James
SEXY. WRONG. Wrong in the way that the male lead is an overbearing power control freak who stops her living her own life.
16. True Hauntings by Hazel Denning
17. Will Storr vs the supernatural
Interesting observations of a journalist delving into the world of people who chase ghosts.
18. 50 shades darker by E L James
Can't stop at one.
19. Ice Cold Grave by Charlaine Harris
Everything she writes is gold.
20. The lovely bones by Alice Sebold
I was so pissed off at the ending of this book, didn't watch the movie and don't want to spoil it for you. You should read this is you like drama.
21. Grave secrets by Charlaine Harris
22. Grave surprise by Charlaine Harris
23. Love by Leo Buscaglia
Optimists take on the world.
24. Grave sight by Charlaine Harris
25. Huntress by Malinda Lo
This and number 34 (Ash, prequel) are incredible books. Fantasy/adventure, lesbian written from a ladies perspective and not in a whorish porn/male perspective. 5 stars.
26. Playing dead by Julia Heaberlin
27. Panic by Jeff Abbott
Fucking loved the running around in this mystery/adventure/crime book, shooting and terror and AGHHH! great stuff.
28. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Angels eh? Yeah I didn't think I'd be into it but it's a good book. Alternative to those vampire books I'm so addicted to.
29. Falling to Ash by Karen Mahoney
30. Angels blood by Nalini Singh
SEXY! Fantasy/erotic/adventure lots of death and killing and darkness. Archangels gone bad. I went ahead and bought the second book in this series, so you know I liked it.
31. 50 shades freed by E L James
They get married. Surprise!
32. Death at Victoria Dock by Kerry Greenwood
33. Blood and circuses by Kerry Greenwood
I find Kerry a bit hit and miss, my mum loves these murder mystery books. These two were good. The circus one was sexier.
34. Ash by Malinda Lo
35. The white cat by Holly Black
Amused by the authors surname in contrast to the title, I bought this book in a spur of the moment Dymocks adventure and was not disappointed. Magicians are real, twists and turns, murder and fucking excitement. Didn't foresee the ending. 5 stars.